The number of COVID-19 patients currently hospitalized for treatment rose above the 100,000 mark for the first time today (Thursday) to 103,056, including 3,276 severe cases, as 9,186 new cases and 98 more deaths, a daily record high, were logged in the past 24 hours, according to the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).
Seven new clusters were found in five provinces, with a cluster at a furniture factory in Chon Buri having recorded 87 infections.
Of all the hospitalised patients, 58,582 are being treated at general hospitals and the rest at field hospitals. 839 of the severe cases are on ventilators.
Of the 98 fatalities, 61 were men and 37 women, aged between 27 and 108, the oldest ever recorded. 96 are Thais, with one Japanese and one from Myanmar. 51 deaths are in Bangkok, 14 in Samut Prakan, 7 in Nakhon Pathom, 5 in Pathum Thani, 3 in Nakhon Ratchasima, 2 each in Ubon Ratchathani, Tak, Narathiwat and Udon Thani and 1 each in Samut Songkhram, Chachoengsao, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Phanom, Songkhla, Pattani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Kamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Sawan and Uttaradit.
52 of those who died had high blood pressure, 32 had diabetes, 17 had high cholesterol, 14 had kidney diseases, 11 had heart diseases, 7 had lung diseases, 6 were obese and 4 had a stroke.
The seven new clusters are:
- A furniture factory in Ban Bueng district of Chon Buri, 87 infections.
- A food cannery in Bo Thong district of Chon Buri, 12 infections.
- A marble factory in Sattahip district of Chon Buri, 12 infections.
- A garment factory in Pakkret district, Nonthaburi, 30 infections.
- A garment factory in Bang Khla district, Chachoengsao, 10 infections.
- Fishing crews in Pran Buri district, Prachuap Khiri Khan, 23 infections.
- A tobacco factory in Tha Muang district in Kanchanaburi, 16 infections.
Cumulative infections, since April 1st, 2021, are 343,352, while cumulative infections since early last year are 372,215.
The post Hospitalised COVID patients surpass 100,000, as Thailand records daily death toll high of 98 first appeared on Thai PBS World : The latest Thai news in English, News Headlines, World News and News Broadcasts in both Thai and English. We bring Thailand to the world.