Dubai Fitness Challenge (DFC) officially concluded its most ambitious and inspiring edition to date with more than 1,500,000 participants rising to the 30×30 Challenge. First launched in 2017 by Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Crown Prince and chairman of The Executive Council of Dubai, the 2020 edition motivated and engaged individuals across the city to undertake 30 minutes of continuous activity per day for 30 days, presenting participants with a diversity of physical and virtual exercise and wellness opportunities unlike anything seen before.
Delivered across 30 days, from 30 October to 28 November 2020, Dubai Fitness Challenge’s citywide fitness movement strengthened the spirit of the whole community and empowered participants to make fitness accessible and easy for all. This year’s ambitious edition sought to take health to another level with a renewed focus on holistic wellness, raising awareness about the importance of other core elements of health such as nutrition, mental wellbeing and fitness. Participants were invited to partake in health and wellness-centric activities and reminded to benefit from health check-ups and fitness assessments across gyms and other key facilities.
Looking back at the 30 action-packed days, the high-level of stakeholder engagement across government departments, corporate entities and the fitness industry, all contributed to the remarkable participation in DFC.
The highlights of Dubai Fitness Challenge 2020, organised by Dubai Tourism and Dubai Sports Council, included:
- In a historic first, the iconic Sheikh Zayed Road turned into a giant cycling track for Dubai Ride, brought to you by DP World. More than 20,000 cyclists participated in the inaugural Dubai Ride 2020, led by His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Crown Prince and Chairman of The Executive Council of Dubai, marking a new milestone in their fitness journey.
- Over 100,000 runners took over Dubai for the city’s biggest fun run, the Dubai Run, brought to you by Mai Dubai. People of all ages, abilities and fitness levels walked, wheeled, jogged and ran to shape their own routes at stunning locations across the city. The event marked an iconic day, while showcasing an unprecedented display of unity to achieve a collective goal.
- More than 200 virtual events took centre-stage in this year’s edition, providing participants with an array of free-to-access, online and virtual resources to benefit from even more flexibility and remote access as they fuel their mind, body and spirit. Virtual and live online sessions by leading fitness venues and professionals, as well as the ‘Find Your 30’ and ‘City Is a Gym’ virtual hubs on the DFC website, brought together a wide range of easily accessible, premium fitness content to residents and visitors across the city.
- World-renowned fitness instructors and experts, including Luis Figo, Carles Puyol, Eric Abidal, Michael Salgado, Ibrahim Ba, Mikaël Silvestre, Sulley Montari, Bakit Saad, Mohsin Musibah, Kayla Itsines and Kelsey Wells, also joined in on the Challenge – to inspire and motivate fans to make a stronger commitment to a healthier and more active lifestyle.
- Partnerships and activations with more than 20 global brands helped shape a diverse programme for this year’s edition and push the boundaries of innovative fitness experiences. Brands like Nike, Under Armour, ASICS, Reebok, Adidas, Lululemon, Puma, Physique 57, Fitness First, Barry’s and F45 Training, as well as leading global fitness apps Fitbit Premium, Daily Burn, FIIT, Les Mills on Demand, NEOU, Steppi, Sweat and Sworkit, helped bring exciting workouts and fitness experiences for the whole family this year.
- More than 620,000 students from across 600 schools in the country pledged their participation in DFC 2020, testament to the fitness initiative’s commitment to ensure children of all ages and abilities have ample opportunities to discover the benefits of health and wellbeing.
- Global partners coming together to deliver content, online virtual workouts, wellness and dance sessions, including an incredible range of free activities from PJ Masks, IMG Worlds Of Adventure; Les Mills Born To Move music workouts, EA Sports FIFA 21, and special song routines at Motiongat Dubai.