January 2, 2023
I do not believe in New Year’s resolutions, partly because they always seem to set you up for failure. Instead, I like to set “goals” for myself that are not so specific that they become too challenging to continue throughout the year. For example, one goal I set for myself each year is to eat healthier and incorporate more vegetables into my diet. This can be accomplished by adding more salads and soups to my weekly menu plans.
This easy salad combines fiber-rich celery with tart pomegranate arils, crunchy walnuts, and creamy shavings of Parmesan cheese. The salad is dressed with a vinaigrette made with lemon, anchovy paste, olive oil, salt, and pepper. You could change the walnuts for pistachios and change the Parmesan cheese to goat cheese or feta cheese crumbles. It all depends on what you have on hand and what you prefer. This salad stores well and is hearty enough to pack for work day lunches. I didn’t have any fresh herbs available but I recommend adding chopped fresh parsley or mint to this salad.
Deborah Mele 2023
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Anchovy Paste
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 5 Cups of Washed Celery Sticks, Cut on The Diagonal In 1/2-inch Pieces
- 2/3 Cup Lightly Toasted Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Cup Pomegranate Arils
- 1/2 Cup Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside for at least an hour.
- In a bowl,combine the celery, walnuts, and pomegranate arils.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and toss to coat well.
- Arrange the salad onto a platter or shallow bowl and distribute the shaved cheese on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 340mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g