Time to break out the chips, because this homemade chili cheese dip is one appetizer you don’t want to miss! Hot, gooey, and oh-so-satisfying, this cheesy dip is guaranteed to make any gathering a hit.
Dips are a must-make for any get-together. Game days, movie nights, you name it! If you love cheesy dips as much as I do, here are a few more recipes you need to try out: beer cheese dip, salsa cream cheese dip, and queso blanco!
Homemade Chili Cheese Dip
Chili cheese dip is the ultimate party food that’s sure to please any crowd! With just a few simple ingredients and a pot on the stove, you can have a delicious and cheesy dip that’s perfect for any occasion. From there, all you need are your favorite chips! (These air fryer tortilla chips are a great choice.) Simply melt some shredded cheese and stir in a can of chili and voila! You have a mouthwatering dip that will disappear before your eyes.
Not only is this chili cheese dip recipe easy to make, but it’s also the perfect appetizer to serve at any gathering. Whether you’re hosting a Super Bowl party, a game night with friends, or just want a tasty snack for movie night, this dip is sure to be a hit. Pair it with some tortilla chips, crackers, or even veggies for a delicious and satisfying treat that everyone will love. Here’s how to make it!
When it comes to making chili cheese dip, the ingredients are as easy as 1,2,3 (or more accurately, as easy as cheese, chili, and a stove)! With just a few items from your pantry, you’ll have a cheesy, gooey, and oh-so-delicious dip that your family will go crazy over! See the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Chili: Whether you’re using a can of store-bought chili or whipping up your own homemade batch (I have a great recipe here!) this flavorful component adds a delicious base to your dip.
- Cream Cheese: Creamy, smooth, and dreamy! The cream cheese adds a luxurious texture to the dip, making it extra indulgent and irresistible. It also helps to balance out the spiciness of the chili.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: This classic cheese brings a sharp and tangy flavor to the mix. It melts perfectly and adds a gooey, melty texture to your dip. You can also use Velveeta cheese.
- Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese: Spice up your dip with some pepper jack cheese! It adds a kick of heat and a depth of flavor to your dip.
- Salt and Pepper to Taste: Don’t forget to season your dip with a pinch of salt and pepper! This simple addition can bring out the flavors of the other ingredients and make your dip taste even better.
- Tortilla Chips: Finally, the perfect vessel for your delicious dip! Whether you like them salty, crunchy, or plain, tortilla chips are the ideal companion to your chili cheese dip. You can also use things like pita chips, crackers, crostini, Frito scoops you name it! So dip away and enjoy!
How to Make the BEST Chili Cheese Dip
Don’t be fooled by the gooey, cheesy goodness of this chili cheese dip – it’s as easy to make as it is to devour! With just a few ingredients and a little bit of stirring on the stove, you’ll have a party-perfect dip that’s sure to impress your guests. It whips up in minutes!
- Combine Ingredients: In a small pot, add your chili, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and pepper jack cheese.
- Melt: Set your stove to medium and cook just until your cheese is melted and you are able to stir everything together. Then you can leave it in the pot to keep it warm on the stove or pour it into a bowl to serve.
Making Chili Cheese Dip in the Crock Pot
For a more hands-off approach, you can also make chili cheese dip in a crock pot or slow cooker. Set your crockpot to low heat and add in all of your ingredients. Then cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
Tips and Variations
Take your chili cheese dip to the next level with these simple customization tips! Whether you’re adding extra spice, experimenting with new cheeses, or trying out creative serving ideas, there are endless ways to make this classic appetizer your own.
- Spice it Up: If you want to add more flavor I suggest adding 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, and ½ teaspoon of cumin. You can even try adding some diced jalapeños or red pepper flakes to your dip for an added kick!
- More Mix-Ins: For more texture, add kidney beans or black beans! Corn and diced tomatoes are great options too.
- Add Meat: For an even heartier version of this dip, add ground beef or bacon bits!
- Different Cheeses: Experiment with different cheeses to create your own unique flavor. Try adding some mozzarella cheese, Colby Jack, or Gouda for a twist on this classic recipe.
- Ways to Use Chili Cheese Dip: Who says chili cheese dip has to be a dip? Try using it as a topping for nachos, loaded baked potatoes, or even chili cheese fries for a delicious and fun twist on your favorite dishes. It’s so good and such a fun switch-up!
If you have any leftovers of this delicious chili dip, save it and have it another day for a quick and tasty snack! It’s so easy to heat up.
- In the Refrigerator: Store leftover chili cheese dip in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheating the dip on the stove top or in the microwave before serving is recommended.
- 1 15 ounce can chili or about 1 ¼ cups Homemade Chili
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips for dipping
In a small pot, add your chili, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and pepper jack cheese.
Set your stove to medium and cook just until your cheese is melted and you are able to stir everything together. You can leave it in the pot to keep it warm on the stove or pour it into a bowl to serve.
You can also heat this dip in a crockpot, set your crockpot to low and add all the ingredients to the crockpot. Cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
If you want to add more flavor I suggest adding 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, and ½ teaspoon of cumin.
For some spice add ¼ cup chopped pickled jalapenos.
Calories93kcal (5%)Carbohydrates3g (1%)Protein4g (8%)Fat7g (11%)Saturated Fat4g (20%)Polyunsaturated Fat0.3gMonounsaturated Fat2gCholesterol21mg (7%)Sodium337mg (14%)Potassium84mg (2%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar0.3gVitamin A297IU (6%)Vitamin C19mg (23%)Calcium129mg (13%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Course Appetizer, dip, Snack
Keyword chili cheese dip, chili cheese dip recipe
I am Alyssa and the blogger behind The Recipe Critic. I started my blog in June of 2012 as a place to share my passion for cooking. I love trying new things and testing them out with my family.