A twist in the case of the kidnapped and murdered Chinese student


The murder of the Chinese student in Nonthaburi province last week was motivated by a soured love affair between the victim and one of her three abductors. The ransom story was just a diversion created by the abductors, with the help of a Thai bar girl.

The twist in the abduction and murder of 22-year-old Jin Can, a third-year music student at Bangkok Thonburi University, was revealed late this afternoon (Tuesday) by Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn, the deputy national police chief, who was assigned to supervise the case.

He said that the call made by one of the three Chinese suspects to her father in Beijing, using the VSAT application on the victim’s smart phone, was just a diversionary tactic to distract police attention from the real motive.

Pol Gen Surachate said that the three Chinese suspects met the bar girl at a karaoke bar and they became acquainted, adding that one of them asked the bar girl to look for Jin Can, with a promise to pay her 50,000 baht, and provided her with the name of the university.

The bar girl happened to have a friend at Bangkok Thonburi University, was able to track down the Chinese student and arranged a meeting with her boyfriend from China.

Surachate also said that the boyfriend tried to have a relationship with the victim, but she declined. So, he went back to the bar girl for ideas about what to do with the Jin Can.

He claimed that the Thai bar girl suggested that they kill the Chinese student, adding that the girl was paid 80,000 baht for taking the three suspects to Suvarnabhumi international airport for their return flight to China after having killed student and dumped her body in a banana plantation in Bang Yai district of Nonthaburi province last week.

The deputy police chief said that the suspects will not be extradited back to Thailand to stand trial, but will be tried in China, where the penalty for murder is very harsh.

The victim’s body will be sent back to China for a funeral, as requested by her father, who flew into Bangkok provide a statement to the Thai police.

Leave a Reply