Flatbread pizza is a simple and delicious recipe that is easier to make than regular pizza. With a thin and chewy flatbread crust that is topped with your favorite pizza toppings, it’s even better than takeout and always a hit!
I am a HUGE pizza fan. I definitely don’t feel guilty about it either. Some things in life were meant to be enjoyed, and pizza is at the top of that list. If you love pizza too, you’ve got to try this Bubble Pizza, this amazing and simple White Pizza, and this yummy Taco Pizza.
Flatbread Pizza Recipe
I love this flatbread pizza recipe for so many reasons! For starters, it’s made on flatbread instead of a traditional pizza dough. That makes it easier to make without compromising on flavor. Flatbread is a delicious thin bread kind of like naan or pita bread, and it can be flavored or plain. You can pick it up from the store in the bread section, or you can make your own at home with the recipe I’ve linked below. Either way you make it, flatbread pizza might be your new favorite.
The amazing thing about pizza when you make it at home is that you can literally make it exactly the way you want it! When I’m making one just for me, I love a drizzle of olive oil and some mushrooms and parmesan cheese. Sometimes I’ll add some spinach for a pop of color. You can add things like pesto, sausage, garlic, and really any pizza sauce you like. I share more of my favorite pizza sauce recipes below in the recipe box.
The key to a good flatbread pizza is, of course, the flatbread! I love making my own simple flatbread at home because it tastes better than store bought and you can pop them in the freezer. Then they are ready to pull out anytime you need them. You can also buy a lot of great options from the store. The measurements are listed below in the recipe card.
- Flatbread: Flatbread is a simple, very flat dough. It’s similar to pita bread and makes the perfect simple crust for pizza. I love making my own, but there are a lot of great options at the grocery store too.
- Marinara Sauce: Homemade pizza sauce is just what this pizza needs! The sauce is so easy to make, but if you are in a rush you can definitely pick up your favorite brand at the store.
- Mozzarella Cheese: This is the key to a perfectly melty pizza. You can add other cheeses as well, but I think every pizza needs mozzarella.
- Pepperoni: You can buy whatever type of meat you like, but my family definitely prefers pepperoni.
- Basil Leaves: Fresh basil leaves add a pop of flavor and color. It really makes a difference!
How To Make Flatbread Pizza
Because you are using flatbread that is already baked, you just have to cook this flatbread pizza in the oven until the cheese is melted. It’s a no fuss recipe that anyone can perfect. You won’t have to worry about whether it’s done or not, and it also makes the perfect freezer pizza. More about that below!
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line Pans: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the flatbreads on the prepared pan.
- Add Sauce: Spread ¼ cup marinara sauce over each flatbread.
- Add Toppings: Top each flatbread with ½ cup mozzarella cheese, and 10 slices of pepperoni.
- Bake: Bake for 8-10 minutes until the flatbread is golden and crisp around the edges. If desired, broil for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Garnish: Garnish with fresh basil leaves and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Enjoy: Slice and enjoy!
Tips for Making Flatbread Pizza
Homemade flatbread pizza has a simple crust, so the toppings are really what make this pizza shine. You can follow my exact recipe, or use these tips below to make an entirely new pizza that your whole family will love.
- Add Veggies: Adding things like mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, spinach, bell peppers, and red onion can really take your pizza to the next level! I really like a simple Margherita flatbread pizza, but adding more toppings can always be fun. Other ideas are black olives, sliced tomatoes, and fresh arugula. The key to a great pizza is flavor combinations that you know you will love, so keep that in mind when adding your toppings.
- Use A Different Sauce: Flatbread toppings can be anything you want! I like a simple tomato sauce, but my kids especially love white pizza sauce. You can also make Alfredo sauce and add chicken and bacon on top for a really simple and creamy pizza. If you are making a white pizza, add some balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs to really make those flavors stand out!
- Add Meat: My family is all about pepperoni pizza, but there is no reason to just stick to that. I love adding chicken, sausage, bacon, and prosciutto on my pizza. Maybe not all at the same time! But pretty close. The more the merrier I say!
Flatbread pizza makes great leftovers because you can reheat it again and again, and it will still taste amazing. You can pop your pizza in the freezer for an easy freezer meal when you are in a rush. Here are my tips for storing leftovers and meal prep.
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftover pizza in the fridge for up to 5 days. Make sure it’s in an airtight container so that the bread doesn’t get dry and stale.
- In the Freezer: You can put your assembled pizza in the freezer. Follow this recipe for the assembly of the pizza, and then before you bake it, wrap it in plastic wrap and pop it in the freezer. You can store it for up to 3 months, and pop it in the oven whenever you need it. When you do bake it, put it on a parchment lined pan and bake at 400 degrees until the cheese has melted. That should be for about 10-15 minutes depending on how frozen it is and your oven. Just keep your eye on it and wait until that cheese starts to move around.
- 1 recipe flatbread
- 1 cup marinara sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 40 slices pepperoni
- fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the flatbreads on the prepared pan.
Spread ¼ cup marinara sauce over each flatbread.
Top each flatbread with ½ cup mozzarella cheese, and 10 slices of pepperoni.
Bake for 8-10 minutes until the flatbread is golden and crisp around the edges. If desired, broil for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese.
Garnish with fresh basil leaves and red pepper flakes if desired.
Slice and enjoy!
Serving1flatbreadCalories284kcal (14%)Carbohydrates5g (2%)Protein17g (34%)Fat22g (34%)Saturated Fat11g (55%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat8gTrans Fat0.3gCholesterol64mg (21%)Sodium959mg (40%)Potassium280mg (8%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A644IU (13%)Vitamin C4mg (5%)Calcium295mg (30%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Course Dinner, lunch
Cuisine American, Italian American
Keyword flatbread pizza
I am Alyssa and the blogger behind The Recipe Critic. I started my blog in June of 2012 as a place to share my passion for cooking. I love trying new things and testing them out with my family.